Morning Routine


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Our new morning routine

Update: we tried it this morning and it was AMAZING how my 5 year old cleaned his room, made his bed, and did general pick up around the house with joy! So I added a song to extend this time. he he. We also needed a little longer for breakfast so I added a song there too. So far so good!!!

With our very first day of school....ever...coming up soon, I thought it was a good idea to establish a very structured morning routine with the kids so we don't rack up the tardies. I saw a site online that sells materials that includes music cds that basically trains the kids to stay on a specific task for the duration of a song. And each song's tempo is geared towards that specific task. It sounded like that's what I needed...but not for the $80 price tag.

So tonight I created the playlist that is playing for you right now which is going to correlate to our new morning routine. I figured I'd start it this week to work out any kinks in time for school.

Here's the breakdown:

Song 1: Breakfast at Tiffany's - wake up and get to the kitchen for breakfast
songs 2-4: all classical music, nice and slow to aid in digestion and communication
song 5: get it started - put dishes in sink and wash up
song 6: supercali...- 2 min song to brush teeth
song 7: imperial march (from star wars) - make bed/clean up room
song 8: 2 sec transition
song 9: theme to star wars - 5 min for chores (not sure what I'll have them do but they're doing somethin' darn it...or I can just delete it?)
songs 10-11: I love my shirt and boogie shoes - get dressed
song 12: pod - grab backpack/lunch/anything else you'll need for school and get to the car

each song category is different in tempo and style so the transition will be easy to hear. And time management for a 5 and 2 year old should be easier since the songs keep the time for them.

So from breakfast to out the door, in theory anyways, should only take us 37 minutes.

Let's hope it works cause with the 2 hours I just spent on this, I'm going to be seriously tired tomorrow! :)

2 comments:

Raquel said...

i am so proud of you Dani! you have sure put some great effort in to organization lately!!! that is great! and kids love sturcture i need to do something similar for my kids now!

Liz Ratliff said...

That is awesome!!!!!! I too need some morning structure, and music might just motivate me and Hannah to get moving in the mornings.